Treatment for TMJ in Upland, CA
Dealing with recurring migraines? If so, you may not realize it, but your jaw could be to blame. If you are a notorious teeth grinder or jaw clencher, this can lead to tightness of the jaw muscles. Over time, the jaw muscles may become overworked, stiff, and painful. These muscles could also be the source of your migraines. Our Upland, CA dentist Dr. Robin Su can help manage your migraines by helping you better control your TMJ disorder symptoms.
Here are some clues that your headaches could be caused by TMJ,
- Your migraines seem to appear after eating, chewing gum, or talking for long periods of time
- You grind your teeth before or after your migraines
- You experience jaw pain or your jaws click when opening them
While migraines are often common in those with TMJ disorders, these aren’t the only problems you may experience. Those with TMJ may also experience,
- Ear pain
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Numbness in the fingers
If you also experience any of these symptoms, then your TMJ symptoms could be contributing to your migraines.
Seeking Treatment for TMJ
Since painful TMJ disorders are associated with migraines, it’s important to get the underlying cause under control first. Our dental team can provide recommendations and treatment options based on the symptoms you are experiencing and the severity of your symptoms. We may recommend,
- Simple facial exercises that you can perform daily to help stretch, relax, and strengthen the jaw
- Pain relievers or anti-inflammatories to ease pain and swelling (stronger medications may be prescribed if these medications don’t work)
- Antidepressants and muscle relaxants
- Oral splints or mouth guards to ease wear and tear on muscles when grinding at night
- Physical therapy
- Stress management
- Botox injections
Sometimes TMJ goes away on its own, but when you’re also dealing with migraines, we understand that time is of the essence when it comes to managing this jaw problem. While rare, certain surgical treatment options may be beneficial if you’re still dealing with serious jaw pain and migraines despite more conservative options.
If you are battling painful and debilitating migraines, you owe it to yourself to talk with our Upland CA, dental team to find out if TMJ disorder could be the culprit.